Student Academic Processes & Procedures

Academic Processes and Procedures

With the new my.harvard system, there are many changes to the way students complete submit academic requests and forms. Please refer to this table (also in pdf format in the above link). If you have any questions, please drop in to the House Dean’s Office to see Amanda or Alana!


Forms pic


Handbook Link Overview

(Follow the Handbook Link for more complete information!)

Where’s the form, and when’s it due? Who do I talk to?
Pass/Fail Any undergraduate may, with the permission of the instructor, enroll in a course on a Pass/ Fail basis. Independent Study is always graded PA/FL. Available for download in the documents section of student home at my.harvard. Due to the Registrar by 5pm on the 5th Monday of the term (October 5th, 2015) Office of the House Dean


Independent Study Independent Study is designed to provide credit for field research, academic study not available in regular course work, or practice or performance in the arts. Any sophomore, junior, or senior whose previous record is satisfactory may petition to undertake Independent Study for non-letter-graded credit. On the website of the Office of Undergraduate Education. Due at the Office of the House Dean by the Add/Drop deadline (October 5, 2015) Email

with any questions, or ask us in the Office of the House Dean.

Cross Registration

(visit this link as well)

Students who wish to enroll in courses offered by Harvard’s professional schools or MIT may petition online. Under special conditions it may be possible for a student to earn degree credit for courses taken at another local institution provided that those courses contribute to a compelling academic plan tied to his or her concentration and not otherwise available at the College. Visit the Cross Registration website for petition instructions. Petitions are due the Friday before the free Add/Drop deadline (September 18, 2015). Note that some schools have earlier deadlines; check with the relevant school. Questions about cross-registration may be sent to
Simultaneous Enrollment A student may not enroll in courses that meet at the same time or overlapping times unless an exception is granted by the Administrative Board. Exceptions will be considered only if the instructors in both overlapping courses agree and only in one or more of three specific circumstances detailed in the handbook. Speak with the House Dean about procedure. All Simultaneous Enrollment requests must be brought before the AdBoard no later than the Tuesday preceding the Add/Drop deadline, 5th Monday (September 29, 2015). Office of the House Dean
Add/Drop Students may make changes to their course enrollment after Study Card Day and before the 5thMonday of the term. Adding a class requires permission of the instructor.


Online at my.harvard. The add/drop deadline is the 5th Monday of the term (October 5, 2015). There is no charge for adding or dropping by the 3rd Monday of the term. All students pay a $10 fee for adding or dropping courses after the 3rd Monday but by the 5th Monday of the term. Office of the Registrar
Withdraw Students may petition to withdraw from a course. When a petition to withdraw from a course has been approved, the student’s record will carry the notation WD for the course. The transcript states: “WD indicates permission to withdraw from the course without completing requirements and credit for the course.” Available for download at the Registrar’s website. Petitions must be submitted by the 7th Monday of a term (October 19, 2015). All students pay a $10 fee for withdrawal petitions filed by the 7th Monday of the term. Office of the Registrar
Take a Leave of Absence Students who wish to interrupt their studies at any time before graduation will petition the AdBoard for a leave of absence. Speak with the House Dean about procedure. Students with satsifactory academic and disciplinary records, who have petitioned by the 7th Monday of the term (October 19, 2015), will normally be granted a “leave of absence.” Students who petition after the 7th Monday of the term will normally be granted a “leave of absence—late in the term.” Students who are not in good standing can be granted a “leave of absence—on probation.” The expectation for students who petition for a leave of absence after the 10th Monday of the term is that they will not return in the next consecutive academic term. No petitions for a leave of absence for any term will ordinarily be considered after the first day of Reading Period for that term. Office of the House Dean
Submit a Study Card Prior to enrolling in courses, students must meet with their sophomore or concentration advisor. After the meeting, the advisor will release the advising hold. Online at my.harvard, usually due one week after the term begins. A student who fails to submit a study card on time with the minimum required course load (typically 16 credits) will incur a charge of $40 per week until the study card is submitted. Sophomore or Concentration Advisor
Register Students are required to register online at the opening of each term by the date designated in the academic calendar. Online at my.harvard. Ordinarily, no students will be allowed to register after 5pm on the Monday following the study card deadline. Office of the Registrar
Declare a Concentration or Fill out a Plan of Study All degree candidates must fulfill the requirements of one of the recognized fields of concentration, an approved joint concentration, or an approved special concentration. A student’s concentration is his or her commitment to a particular discipline, field, or specialization. Eventually online atmy.harvard. Students must submit a completed Declaration of Concentration and Plan of Study near the end of the fall term of their second year. The relevant department and the Office of the Registrar
Change a Concentration After submitting a Declaration of Concentration and Plan of Study, students may change concentrations or add or delete a field that forms part of a joint concentration by filing an approved Change of Field of Concentration petition with the Registrar. Petitions may be submitted until the deadline for degree applications in a student’s final term in the College. After that a change of concentration will be granted only with the approval of the AdBoard. The relevant department and the Office of the Registrar
Declare a Secondary Secondary fields provide the opportunity for focused study outside of the primary area of concentration, but they are entirely optional and are not required for graduation. The successful completion of a secondary field will appear on a student’s transcript. No student may receive credit for more than one secondary field. Use the Secondary Fields web tool. Students are responsible for notifying secondary fields of their interest in the program, for tracking their requirements, for obtaining required signatures, and for submitting all electronic information and signed paperwork to the Office of the Registrar no later than the deadline published in the Handbook, usually 2 months before graduation. The relevant department and the Office of the Registrar
Divide a Full Course (with or without credit) or Suspend/Combine For year-long courses, completion of the fall term is a prerequisite for enrolling in the spring term. Any alteration to a year-long course requires consultation with the House Dean. Speak with the House Dean about procedure. Office of the House Dean
Foreign Language Citation Advanced training in a foreign language.  Noted on the transcript at the time degrees are voted, and included in the commencement program. Students will also receive printed citations along with their diplomas. Paper, available in the House Office. Due to the Registrar no later than the deadline for your degree application (during your final term in the College). The Director of Undergraduate Studies for the relevant language department.